Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Anime Mondays #40

Does anyone have any weird holiday anime traditions?I know this is an odd question, but I'm curious.I mean, you could drag out your dusty, bargain bin copy of MY SANTA.I won't judge you.You know what I've been doing the past couple years?Staying up until 3am on Christmas Eve wrapping presents and watching ONE PIECE.It has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, but that's how I get shit done.Pirates and bow tying.Feel free to tell me how awesome I am.I do accept comments, and unless they are spam, they won't get deleted, I promise.



All images are from , and there are spoilers up to the episodes listed!




NARUTO - EPISODES 38-43



Boy, you know what I really wanted after that giant chunk of episodes that proved Sakura's uselessness?MORE SAKURA EPISODES.God, just shoot me in the eye.These weed-out-the-crap Chunin exam episodes are still happening (and I when I googled how to spell Chunin, I just found out this arc goes into episode 60+!oh, god, and this isn't even filler ) and apparently, they are going to show us every single stupid battle.The group of episodes I watched this week didn't have anything terribly epic except for the great bitch battle of the century, Sakura vs Ino, where I hoped and prayed that Ino would win the entire time, but knew in my head that that probably wouldn't be the case.I mean, come on, Naruto's team obviously has to win every match they have, right?Right??Fortunately, I was incorrect in my prediction.Sakura doesn't lose, but she doesn't win, either.I'll take the tie.Still proves Sakura does not belong in the ninja club.Let's kick her out of the tree house.



LUPIN THE 3RD: PART II - EPISODES 1-5



In the last Crunchyroll Anime Mystery Box I received, I was lucky enough to grab the first three volumes of this show.Now, you should know how my OCD works by now; I am very leery to start an anime sequel without watching the first series first.Like it gives me the shivers.But, I really didn't feel like dropping thirty bucks on the first show right now, and this was the highlight of my mystery box, so I popped that sucker in.First, a word of warning: episode 3 is not on the first volume.It's about Nazis and stuff, so it got pushed back to a way later disc.Luckily, this is on Hulu, so as soon as I was done with episode 2, I went over there to see the "banned" episode.LUPIN THE 3RD (III?Third? It's different everywhere.) is about a group of thieves who go around making plans to steal stuff.However, in the end, they pretty much get nothing.It's very COWBOY BEBOP.I actually dig this show a lot, but if you don't like that "older" anime art style, you probably won't.I thought it would be more like a kid's show than it actually is yeah, no.There are half-naked ladies and sex jokes everywhere, but instead of it being stupid fanservice, it's funny.Gasp.What a concept!I liked this so much that I immediately turned on



LUPIN THE THIRD: THE WOMAN CALLED FUJIKO MINE - EPISODES 1-4



Thank you, Funimation Channel for allowing me to watch this dub the moment I switched over to another series.Also, thank you Funimation in general for casting Michelle Ruff as Fujiko Mine, the same voice actress who played her in the Part II dub.While she doesn't sound exactly the same as she did ten years ago, it was such a great performance that I wasn't thrown too much out of the world.FUJIKO MINE is a prequel to the LUPIN series (or at least Part II, as I haven't seen the first one), but it's so much darker than the old show.I mean seriously.It's no HIGURASHI or anything, but it's not a giant, comedic romp that LUPIN THE 3RD: PART II is.The opening is so not safe for work that it's not even funny, and don't despair, Fujiko gets naked in every episode so far.But the art style is fantastic.It's a throwback, but it's not.It uses today's technology to create something really beautiful.Fujiko is introduced to her gang from the original show one episode at a time, and she just steals the anime.Talk about a master thief.Four episodes in, and it's fantastic.I just hope it doesn't peter out soon.And I would watch at least a couple episodes of a prior series before jumping into this, just so you get the bare bones of what's happening.



INUYASHA - EPISODES 14-15



Late night shounen time!Yes, there is a 'u' in there, I checked.My apologies.However, I can't apologize for the two episodes I watched which were basically like Kagome gets kidnapped and possessed by the ghost of InuYasha's old almost lover yeah.Kinda boring, kinda dumb, wasn't really feeling it.But at least I finished a disc!In 2014, I am going to really try to finish a bunch of shows before I start new ones.This will probably be easy during the winter season as nothing is catching my eye besides the SAILOR MOON re-make (which is going to be an ONA?What the fuck??It doesn't even get to go on television???My heart hurts a lot.).Anyway, INUYASHA.I'll get through you.Or at least through box set one.



DEVIL SURVIVOR 2: THE ANIMATION - EPISODE 1



Ah, yes, it's the end of 2013, which means it's time for Top Video/Post-a-Palooza, where I sit on youtube for long periods of time and check out everyone's recommendations from the previous year.I believe I caught this in a couple best OP videos, so I decided to turn it on.This anime looks to be part survival game/part apocalypse in the first episode.There is a website where you can see people's faces right before they die if you sign up for it, and, lo and behold, the protagonist catches himself on there right before a train hits him and crushes him to death.Or does itHe is given the choice to live or die via the website, and when he decides to not kick the bucket, it automatically downloads this app onto his phone, which is like a live action POKEMON for demons where they actually come out of the phone and beat up other "bad" demons.His two friends get this app, as well, and it's like a continuous loop of "I wanna be the very best like no one ever was."I don't think there will be training or a gotta catch 'em all attitude, but our protagonist does, apparently, have the strongest demon ever.It's a tiger.Rawr.The first episode was nothing special, and if it says something, I nodded off during the second one (twice).I'll stay awake though and plow through some more.



For some reason, as I was checking out old posts, my best of the week recap things aren't showing up I don't know what's up with that.I type them.Maybe I need a new layout.Just go watch FUJIKO MINE.You won't be disappointed.And since you made it all the way to the end, here's a free Crunchyroll guest pass:



WXZFAWSB7D6



Next week marks the end of DIABOLIK LOVERS, which I'm sure will make most of you weep with joy, while I weep for the end of my dirty little secret anime.Everyone just hates it so much.Now you know how I feel about GIRLS BRAVO.Suck it.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment