Tuesday, September 3, 2013

In Short: It's Almost Autumn?

AS I MENTIONED IN MY OPENING POST FOR THIS BLOG, I SAID I WOULD NOT BE DOING LARGE SEASONAL REVIEWS/PREVIEWS AND THE LIKES, INSTEAD I WILL JUST BE LISTING THE SHOWS I HAVE DECIDED TO WATCH WITH A FEW COMMENTS OF WHAT I EXPECT FROM THEM. SPRING AND SUMMER HAVE GONE BY TOO FAST AND WITH AUTUMN BEING A GOOD SEASON FOR VIDEO GAME RELEASES, IT'S ONLY GOING TO GET HARDER TO JUGGLE ANIME AND VIDEO GAMES. AUTUMN 2013 IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER SO HERE ARE MY PICKS FOR THE SEASON, IN SHORT:



I was quite excited for this when it was announced back in July that the light novels would be adapted. Unfortunately no one has taken up the translation of the novels yet, which I was going to get a head start on.




This sounds a bit like Utena to me which is an instant plus. The PV shows off some of the armour, which so far looks like decently blended CG (I have a lot of issues with CG in anime). This is one of many shows that 8bit are involved in this season so you can expect some of these shows to randomly drop in quality.



One of the most talked about shows on /a/ in recent years gets a second season. I can't say I was in love with the first season but from what we've been shown in the PV, many improvements have been made. I guess the studio were given a much bigger budget since the BD sales were so good.



Cute girls doing astronomy things whilst also being on an international most wanted list? I'm in!



I really enjoyed the first half of season 1, but then they starting adding so many characters it felt rather unnecessary. I'm no stranger to anime with large casts but Magi were practically taking the piss. Other than a new set of villains I really don't want to see any more new characters in this season. Develop what you have rather than piling more on top.



I barely remember anything from the first season. It was just a blur of tits and ass. I hope they provide us with a recap of sorts. I remember this having quite an interesting magic system.



Idols that become pro wrestlers after a series of misunderstandings... It sounds ridiculous but should we be surprised at this point?



YUUSHA NI NARENAKATTA: This is sounding way too similar to Hataraku Mao-Sama, but without the fish-out-of-water part. Kinji Yoshimoto is listed as the director, who is also known for Genshiken 2 which I LOVED.



This show has my attention, the 'absolute multiple-choice' system sounds like a very interesting way to mix things up a bit.



I'll always give shows based on Japanese mythology a chance. And 9/10 times they're always decent, solid shows. I'm hoping we get the same with Gingitsune.



OUTBREAK COMPANY: A story about a moe ambassador who is tasked with bringing the moe culture to a fantasy world... This will most likely be labeled as a "deconstruction of X genre". Mark my words.



If you're a sucker for highly detailed backgrounds and post apocalyptic settings, keep this show on your radar! GoHands are animating this, so expect blue, green and orange filters EVERYWHERE. It seems to have become a staple for their shows.



NEPPU KAIRIKU BUSHI ROAD: This mixed mecha show has been a long time coming. The previous stalled project is a collaboration between Bushiroad, Bandai Visual, Nitroplus and Kinema Citrus. Very little is known about the project at this time and there is no PV available, so I will take a chance here.



Apparently, the main draw to this show is 5 glasses wearing boys and their relationships... On top of that it's an original anime from Studio Deen, who seem to find a way to create shows from the most basic and stupid concepts. I'll watch this for the laugh.



Now this looks like a lovely little slice of life show. I have become somewhat burnt out on SoL these past few seasons, it can be very hard to tell which SoLs are worth watching. I will most likely be applying the 3 episode rule to this one.



This looks like it could be a decent reverse harem. I'm trying to soak up anything with Victorian and vampire themes these days which should prove useful for inspiration for a project I am working on with Oaty over on .



KyoAni finds a way! There are a lot of people excited about this show. Personally, I had never heard about the novel series until KyoAni did a test run commercial along the same lines as Free's original proposal. I wouldn't say I am excited but I am looking forward to see what the fuss is about.



An original anime from PA Works directed by Toshiya Shinohara, who is known for Kuroshisuji's first season and InuYasha side projects. I tend to get a bit too optimistic about original projects, even with the right studio and names it's always a 50/50 chance that the show will be a success.



HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER! Finally! A full animated series of Kyousougiga, I have been waiting a hell of a long time for this. The web animations were fantastic, even though they had such little time to explain the world and its inner workings. There is no PV available for the TV version as of yet, but I have linked a PV for the webisodes above.



On the surface this seems like a bit of an el generico vampire anime and that exactly what I'm expecting. I used to think Silver Link were unable to do action adaptations, but they proved me wrong in this season with Prisma Illya. Will they do it again?



LOG HORIZON: Another "trapped in the MMO world" anime... Well at least it's not SAO season 2. I really want that show wiped off the face of this earth, fanbase included. Log Horizon has been confirmed for a 25 episode run which will air back to back between Autumn and Winter.



I nearly lost my shit looking at the promo image, for a second there I thought it was a Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer adaptation. Which really, is way too good to be true and will probably never happen at this rate (I plan to cover this issue in a blog down the line). I can also confirm that this is a spin off of the Yozakura Quartet series and you will not need any immediate prior knowledge of the previous series to understand this. You should watch Yozakura Quartet anyway, it's a damn good show.



This is Sunrise making the "BUY OUR GUNPLA SETS" even more fucking obvious here. This show is most likely aimed at a younger audience they have so desperately tried to lure in since Gundam AGE. As long as Sunrise continue to animate UC stories that cater to the long time fans, then I don't really care if they dedicate their spin off teams to kiddy shit. I'll give this a chance regardless, as a Gundam fan.



Cute girls doing magical military things? From the PV, this actually looks quite promising. The character models and ships will be in full CG which actually doesn't look half bad. I'm either getting very desensitised to it or the anime studios are getting better at blending it.



This is the 2nd show that Kinji Yoshimoto will be directing for the Autumn season. I don't know how he's going to do it, it sounds like suicide to me. The first episode will have an early screening on September 15th, so expect some eye cancer inducing episodes appearing online around then.



Valvrave season 1 was great fun and had its fair share of retarded moments, but what I liked about it most though, was the music. The OP, ED and OST overall had so much energy to it. I can't wait to see what kind of beats season 2 has in store for us.



I have such a soft spot for this show. I didn't want to touch the VNs because of the sheer length of them, but luckily enough as soon as season 1 ended they had Refrain announced. I am looking forward to hearing the anime version of Refrain's OP and ED as they did well with



The first time I played a BlazBlue game, my first reaction was "This would make a good anime" and I'm not quite sure now if it will or not. I never exactly paid attention to the story in the games so I'm not sure if this is going to translate well into animation. I hope it will will live up to those



Nyo ho ho~ I'll leave the studio history alone here as most of you have been well informed. Just prepare your anus for Gurren Lagann levels of crazy, physics defying action. GET HYPE.



and I am still super hyped, but I'm a little worried as there hasn't been any actual PV with footage from the show yet. Manglobe are cutting it a bit too close here. I hope something shows up soon.



PUPA: Another show that is yet to have a PV released; I might get a head start on the manga seeing though it's only 3 volumes in. I have no idea what the pacing of the manga is like, but 3 volumes seems a little early to be producing a show for.



SO THAT'S 31 SHOWS IN ALL PLUS WHATEVER IS LEFTOVER FROM THE PREVIOUS SEASON. THERE ARE BOUND TO BE A FEW SHOWS DROPPED HERE AND THERE. I WILL POST SOME SHORT THOUGHTS ABOUT THESE SHOWS ONCE THEY AIR AND PERHAPS ANOTHER POST MID SEASON. I'M PRETTY EXCITED FOR THIS NEXT SEASON NOW THAT I'VE LOOKED AT EACH SHOW IN DETAIL.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment